The Academic Council and the Executive Committee which it elects are the chief instruments of faculty governance at SSE . The Bylaws of the University invite the Faculty in general, and the various quorums (forums)as well, to organize themselves in representative councils for discussion of matters of interest to each faculty of Engineering. These councils provide for representation of considered faculty opinion to the Administration, and less directly to the Trustees and any other bodies.
Within the general policy of the JNT University and College Society , the Academic Council shall exercise the following functions –
- The maintenance of academic standards and the planning, co-ordination, development oversight, validation and review of the curriculum and all academic work and advising the management on the resource implications of such planning.
- The making of recommendations to the management relating to the academic structure and organisation of the college .
- The fostering and maintenance of close connections with industry, commerce, the professions (professionals), universities, other educational establishments and research organizations.
- The overseeing of all arrangements for teaching in the college.
- The regulation of the academic conditions for the admission of students to and their progression within the college.
- The regulation of policies and procedures for assessment and examination of students within the college.
- The appointment and removal of internal and external examiners.
- The power to confer the award of academic qualifications, prizes or other distinctions including honorary academic titles as may be agreed with the management .
- The development of teaching methods and courses.
- The organisation of facilities for research and scholarship and for the publication of papers relating thereto.
- The giving of advice ADVISE on the arrangements for the appointment and promotion of teaching and research staff.